Sep 3, 2009

Rubber balls!

On my way to the Tonle Sap, I saw some rubber balls hanging from a hook out in front of a store. We have toys out on the boat, but most of them are wearing down. I had been looking for something to get the kids that they all would enjoy. When I saw the balls, I knew my kids would love them. I had my moto driver pull over. I wasted no time negotiating a price with the shop keeps. It took me a while, but I finally got them at the price I wanted them. I bought 5o rubber balls. Needless to say, they were extremely excited. They looked at me like a conquering hero. It's amazing how something so simple as a rubber ball can make these kid's day. They had a blast!







After that was not so fun though. We had some problems with some of the young girls. Sey and I have been very lenient on them. Lately we have been trying to place more structure on them and not letting them talk so much. But for some reason some of the girls are having trouble acclimating to our new policies. We had to sit them down for a serious talk, because they weren't listening to us. We told them they needed to settle down, because if they didn't we were going to start enforcing some rules. Even during our talk, the girls continued to disregard what we were saying. We were forced to kick one of the girls off the boat to prove we were serious. This changed the whole attitude of the class. All the young girls were angry with us. They didn't communicate this to us, but it was all over their faces. Class ended and all the girls collaborated. It doesn't matter what culture you're in, complaining people always band together. Hopefully this Friday's class keeps the fun and loses the attitude. I pray that it does. 

0 comments: