Aug 28, 2009

Trek the mountain

Tuesday I decided it was about time for an adventure. So I packed up my things and headed for the temple mountain near the Tonle Sap. There are stairs and a path that lead up to the temple. The only problem with taking this path is that there is a guard who stops you and asks for a ticket that you must purchase from a different location. The ticket costs $12 and I didn't have the time nor the desire to spend the money. So I needed to take a different route.


Tada! My route!

I climbed the mountain. I'm sure there must've been a better way up, but the sun would be setting soon and I didn't have time to find it. As I started to climb, the Cambodian children gathered below me and watched. I climbed and climbed. I tested different rocks for stability. About half way up I looked down. It looked like I was 30 feet in the air, it was too late to turn back. I would've never made it back down the same way. I kept going. At one point the rocks below me began to crumble, but I grabbed on to some roots to maintain stability. I finally made it to the top. I looked down to see the kids below me, they were yelling to me. I waved down to them and they waved back. I hiked up the mountain.

Finally I emerged from bushes and saw the temple.
I was so glad I made the trip, because when I made it to the top I befriended a local and saw some very beautiful things.


These structures still amaze me.
I loved how vacant it was here.
I felt so lucky to see a rainbow in this setting.
A picture only says so much, but to be there was beyond words.

Needless to say, the experience was well worth the time. Standing up on the mountain was perfect. I have never had a spiritual moment in nature, but I can honestly say that this was my first. I could see for miles and miles. I could see villages and people. I felt as if God was telling me, "I made this. All this was crafted by my hand. What you see now is only a fragment of my design." I honestly didn't want the moment to end. I sat there until darkness fell. It was a day that I'll never forget.

Teaching the kids has been great. It has been hard though. The boat has a small anchor holding it in place. When a storm comes it blows the boat in so many different directions. It has damaged neighboring boats on the Tonle Sap. We have had to move the boat so many times because the neighbors are scared that they will be smashed by our massive boat. Honestly, the guys who work on the boat are scared someone is going to be seriously hurt by our boat. During storms they become very frightened. I have been reassuring them and trying to boost their morale. Even now, it is storming. Keep them in your prayers. Pray that the massive school boat does no damage. I am certain that my God will keep his hand on this situation.

0 comments: